Monday, September 26, 2011

Beautiful Days - Anna Godbersen

Beautiful Days (Bright Young Things, #2)Beautiful Days by Anna Godbersen

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


WARNING- MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!

As a giant fan of Anna Godbersen, and also considering how much I enjoyed the first book in her Bright Young Things trilogy, I was estatic to read this installment.

It is set in the Jazz age of 1929, complete with cigarette girls, country clubs, and the glamour of NYC. I was completely drawn into the setting from page one, wishing I could be part of Letty, Cordelia, and Astrid's world. Godbersen does an amazing job of creating the world and setting and it becomes a breathtaking view. That being said, I felt like the first half of the book was "filler" and the action didn't begin until well into the second half. I felt like a lot more intrigue and scandal could have been introduced with the Grey/Hale rivalry. ***Spoiler Alert*** I also thought the abduction of Astrid fell short for me. It was not nearly dramatic enough, and her rescue came with no pretense nor antics of anything standing in Charlie's way.

I found myself relating to each character in their own unique ways. My heart broke for their sorrows, and rejoiced in their triumphs.

Overall, I did love the book, if for nothing else than for the setting and time the book was in. I found myself wanting to dress up in my best cigarette girl outfit and dance across my kitchen table. However, the story fell a little short of exciting. I'm hoping Godbersen will pick up the pace a little in the last and final installment of this trilogy. Don't disappoint me Anna! :-)







View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment